Friday, November 22, 2013

New Experiences

This move has been pretty awesome for our family. We all miss Austin so much, but the kids have been able to gain much valuable experience throughout all of this.

At Grandma's house in Utah they learned about telephones and VCRs. I answered the basement landline and after I hung up, Emily looked at me quizzically and said, "but Mom, how does that phone see the tower?" And we got to have a good conversation about how back in the "old days" all phones had cords so as long as they were plugged in they would work.
Later on they were so confused about why they had to wait before a movie while it rewound. All of this was starting to make me feel really old.

When we first came here to Boulder, the kids got in the car one morning and were all shivering with cold. Emily called up to the front of the car, "Hey Mom! Can you turn on the air conditioner except make it blow warm air?" And I already wrote about how none of them understood what was happening when the leaves on the trees started changing colors. They all still try to put on skirts or shorts and short-sleeved shirts every day.

I sort of love being forced to think about all of this from their perspective. Four seasons would be pretty shocking after only having lived in Austin. Joseph and I, though, are enjoying the the beautiful changing of the seasons and the cold, crisp air. 

No comments: