Friday, April 24, 2009

Competition

Since Caleb was born, Emily's maternal instincts have really kicked in... for her dolls!
One day a couple of weeks ago I remember telling Joseph I would come help him in the kitchen as soon as I put Caleb in the swing, only to hear Emily yell, "No way!!" and run to put her doll in before I could get there with Caleb. Caleb had to make do with the bouncy chair that time. Now it is a common sight to see a doll or toy in every one of Caleb's seats - the carseat, swing, bassinet, and bouncer. Caleb often has to share space in his seat with one of Emily's dolls.
I've mentioned this before, but Emily has also decided that what Caleb gets to do looks like fun, so she gives it a try every once in a while. Since we pulled out the baby bath tub, it is a necessity for Emily's bath time too.

But she is the big sister and she knows it, so she reserves some of her maternal instinct for baby brother. When he starts crying she often runs to his seat or bassinet to rock him or try to shove his pacifier in his mouth. She adorns his arms with bracelets (teething rings). She has tried to change his diaper or clothes before and often offers him a sip of her milk. She really is a good and caring big sister.

No comments: