Monday, November 12, 2012

Student Housing

Yesterday was the primary program. This is a big deal in our family because Joseph is the primary chorister. It went well though and Emily said her part beautifully. We were excited to have some neighbors come to see the kids sing. They probably knew half the kids in the primary, since so many live here in student housing.

With two o'clock church, we have lots of time to do things before church. Yesterday's activity was these funny puffball dogs.


However, with two o'clock church we don't have much time afterward. I told the kids they could go outside while we were making dinner as long as they stayed on the back porch. They started a game with one neighbor girl.

Then another came along.

And another (but not a girl this time).

We ended up with a good-sized crowd. I am inside the kitchen taking the picture at this point because I have been crowded off the porch.

And that is why I am a little afraid to leave student housing. Yes, I was nagging Joseph to finish up, but now I'm not so sure. More money and a better apartment would be fantastic, but what about the community? Will we ever live anywhere else with a playground in the backyard and dozens of other children ready to play at any hour of the day? Will I ever be able to step out my back door for a chat with someone because I need some support from other mothers or just companionship during the day? I love sitting out at that park with four other ladies (three of whom are nursing newborns), watching the kids play (and breaking up fights caused by Caleb).
A couple of months ago when I was frustrated that we weren't finishing here as quickly as I wanted, I decided to just let it go and take things a day at a time. And I realized, if there's anywhere that our family is going to be stuck for longer than planned, this is the place. We love Austin and we love student housing here.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Honestly,

Enjoy it. "The Real World/Life" isn't all it's cracked up to be. I miss all of you fiercely.

Unknown said...

Our first month away from that special place Mia would walk outside and literally say "hey, where is everybody?" "where are my friends?" "i need to get on an airplane to texas". It really is such a unique situation and she is now realizing that it isnt normal to always have people at your house or outside your door. I miss that the very most. Enjoy it! and I miss you all fiercely too...

Editt said...

The real world is a sad, lonely place. ;) No, its fun BUT enjoy the benefits of family housing because the dynamic is very different once you leave.

I'm with Heather and miss everyone and that accessibility to adult/mother companionship.