Well, I told a friend that I would post this recipe a while ago, but then I never did because she wanted pictures and I haven't made it since she tried it. So I found a picture on the internet that looks kind of like our bread and maybe later I'll replace it with a picture that I actually took. So with that confession out of the way, here we have my family's favorite recipe for poppy seed bread!
Poppy Seed Bread
1 C. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1 t. almond extract
1 t. vanilla
1-1/2 C. flour
3/4 t. salt
3/4 t. baking powder
3/4 C. milk
2 T. poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and flavorings in medium bowl with electric mixer. Combine dry ingredients. Alternately add milk and dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Fold in poppy seeds. Pour batter into greased and floured pans (1 large loaf pan or two medium loaf pans). Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until surface browns and bread tests done with a toothpick. Let stand for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool.
When we make it, we usually continue to use the electric mixer when adding the milk and dry ingredients so we're not left with lumps, but we have to be super careful to not over-mix. Too much mixing makes the bread rise weird because of something to do with how much it activates the baking powder.
Glaze:
1 T. orange juice concentrate
3 T. water
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 t. almond extract
1 T. butter or margarine
Combine orange juice concentrate, water, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and add almond extract and butter or margerine. Spoon over cooled bread.
Joseph and I often sub in 1/4 C. of orange juice for the concentrate and water since it's the same and a lot easier.
We got this recipe at BYU when we took a cooking class together and have made it regularly ever since. The bread is super easy to make and super delicious as well! Give it a try!
2 comments:
We made it yesterday. I burned it a little. I guess I have a Medium bread pan instead of a large. It still tasted good though.:) Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks for your comment on my blog, Amanda. I try to sew...but I go in spurts. I think after sewing these I'll be on a several month hiatus! I check out your blog sometimes, looks like you're loving texas!
And, now after seeing this poppyseed bread post, I'm pretty sure I'll try it out. I love poppyseed muffins, but I've never made my own!
Post a Comment