I just finished reading Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson (a couple of months ago), and even though it was kind of long, I am so glad to know more about this founding father! He obviously had his flaws, but overall, what an amazing man!He was hard-working:
The fable, an attack on the get-rich-quick schemes of the time, went on to preach Franklin's favorite theme: slow and steady diligence is the true way to wealth. He ended by quoting what his imaginary friend Agricola said on giving his son a parcel of land: "I assure thee I have found a considerable quantity of gold by digging there; thee mayst do the same. But thee must carefully observe this, Never to dig more than plow deep." (pg. 63)He had definite ideas about what was right and what was wrong.
On deciding whether to publish an article which violated his principles:
"To determine whether I should publish it or not, I went home in the evening, purchased a twopenny loaf at the baker's, and with the water from the pump made my supper; I then wrapped myself up in my great-coat, and laid down on the floor and slept till morning, when, on another loaf and a mug of water, I made my breakfast. From this regimen I feel no inconvenience whatever. Finding I can live in this manner, I have formed a determination never to prostitute my press to the purposes of corruption and abuse of this kind for the sake of gaining a more comfortable subsistence." (pg. 67)He had interesting political ideas that we might do well to consider even today:
"Whenever we attempt to mend the scheme of providence," Franklin wrote, "we had need be very circumspect lest we do more harm than good." Perhaps even welfare for the poor was an example. He asked whether "the laws peculiar to England which compel the rich to maintain the poor have not given the latter a dependence." It was "godlike" and laudable, he added," to relieve the misfortunes of our fellow creatures," but might it not in the end "provide encouragements for laziness"? (pg. 148-9).Though hazy, he had an awareness of the presence of an all-knowing god. Calming the delegates when debate at the Constitutional Convention grew heated:
"I fear the giving mankind a dependence on anything for support in age or sickness, besides industry and frugality during youth and health, tends to flatter our natural indolence, to encourage idleness and prodigality, and thereby to promote and increase poverty, the very evil it was intended to cure." (pg. 267)
"how has it happened that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings?"
"The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth - that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" (pg. 451)
3 comments:
Thank you for recommending this book. It looks great and I'm excited to go and check it out!
Caveat lector, Amanda also mentions that the biography reads like a textbook. But you were the Sterling Scholar in Social Studies, right? You'll probably like it.
Thank you for the warning. It's a bit sick, but yes, I'll still probably like it.
Post a Comment