I was wiping off the counter in the kitchen and noticed my lineup of cleaning products today.
How did I end up with such a selection of natural cleaning products? That sure surprised me.
So, I bought some Melaleuca cleaning products at a silent auction the YW held last summer as a fundraiser for camp and started using them. I found that I loved being able to spray and wipe down the high chair right before putting the baby in without having to worry about harmful chemicals. I really like using the gentle Tub & Tile cleaner in the bathtub so I can feel good about putting my kids in there at bath time. I also really love being able to hand a rag to a kid and have the kid help me clean things like windowsills or doors. It is nice to not worry quite so much about dropped rags being picked up and sucked on by Elinor... not that that would ever happen...
I suppose it would be cheaper to make my own cleaning products, but I don't think I could handle yet another project right now. Maybe sometime next year.
Anyway, the point is, I have gradually been transitioning to natural cleaners and I have surprised myself by liking it. I was always the kind of person who would buy what was cheap and what I thought would work best, which is hardly ever the organic or natural product. In fact, I was often the kind of person who would make fun of the earth-loving hippies who bought the other stuff. But now I live in Austin and after 4 1/2 years it is getting to me. I have several neighbors who have their babies at home. I have one neighbor who recently sold her car and bought one of these cool Christiania bikes instead. Go take a look - they really are cool! As a side note, that is something I admire her for doing but don't think I will ever be able to do myself. I have many neighbors who try hard to buy local and organic, even living as poor students. I probably have my really cool, earthy neighbors to blame for influencing me this way, but I have to admit, there are some good things about this green movement. What's next, cloth diapering?! :)

4 comments:
Looks good. I just made laundry soap this past weekend. I haven't used it yet but we'll see.
Good for you and good for your kids. Cloth diapers....erm, they can go the way of the butter churn and the typewriter. They were awful to launder and if not done right caused a lot of diaper rash.
Sneaks up on you, doesn't it? The Earthmom-ness.
And of course, we know Elinor would never pick up a rag and suck on it... or lick anything...
I'll be making my own laundry soap soon, too. (Soon, like in January.) C'mon over if you want to watch a first-timer muddle through learning the process.
The same thing is happening to me :)
Post a Comment