Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Diaper Dilemmas

Okay, so the first problem happened when someone brought Caleb to me from nursery during church and I realized I had packed an entire (fairly large) diaper bags with ZERO diapers or wipes. Yeah, I don't know how what filled that thing with. Good thing Caleb decided to go number two TWICE that day. The first time I borrowed a diaper from a friend and the second time I just kept him with me until the end of the block. I ended up with Caleb, Elinor, and Emily all together in the class I was teaching.  All of us together with four other kids in a teeny tiny (very stinky) classroom. Good times.


And... you might want to skip this part unless you have some sort of interest in cloth diapering.
The second diaper problem occurred when I decided I wanted to give this cloth diaper thing a try. I had decided earlier to try it once I got my own washer and dryer - schlepping all that stuff to the laundromat every night or every other night just seemed like too much - and I have had my own machines for a couple of months now. Buying those was really exciting. It is the first time we have had our own washer and dryer since getting married almost seven years ago!
Anyway, once I decided it was time to look into cloth diapering, I started researching it online. I did not anticipate it taking every spare second of my day plus more! There are so many helpful websites, but so much stuff to consider when choosing a diaper! First I had to figure out what all the different words mean - all-in-ones, all-in-twos, pocket diapers, prefolds and covers, fitteds, and contoureds. Then I looked at the different brands and read reviews and then I looked a little bit at fabric types. I also did some research about washing the diapers and taking care of them.  Of course I was keeping price in mind as well, and that always has a big impact on the final decision.
 I ended up buying six Fuzzibunz pocket diapers because of a good deal I found plus a smattering of other brands - a BumGenius, a Kawaii, some prefolds and Thirsties covers, a Baby Beehinds fitted, and a Rumparooz.  (If I ever start a cloth diaper company I think I will steer away from the cutesy names.) I'm thinking if we fall in love with one of these we will order more. Whenever I go to a cloth diapering site to check on something I'm curious about I find another brand I want to try and am so tempted to order just one more. But the whole point of this is to save money, right? Helping the environment is a nice side effect, but honestly, at this point in my life, saving money is more important. :) I have had some friends and neighbors who have used cloth diapers, but whenever they started telling me about them I felt overwhelmed. Now I have passed that on to you!
Seriously, though, I am so excited to try this. I sure hope it works out! If you have any thoughts or advice about this I would love to hear from you.

And here is a random silly picture I found on my phone.
Double time out dealt by Dad! Happened while I was out of the room, so I was surprised by this scene when I got back.

6 comments:

mkt said...

Good luck with your diaper adventure! I have to say, I've been using them for 4 years and still love them - although it is nice to take a break every now and then. I know the Baby Store is closed, but there is still a lady in town who does a Cloth Diapering 101 workshop once a month - nice because you can hear about all the different kinds and compare them rather than just hearing about one person's favorite. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find her info.

Editt said...

Wow! I'm going cross-eyed just reading about the options. My question is always is it worth it if you are only going to have one more child....(I don't have my excuse of no washer and dryer anymore)
Good luck! Let me know what you decide and I'll just go with that if I do it :)

Jeff said...

I didn't know Kawaii is making diapers now too! I mean, I love their pianos, but I don't know if that is enough to make we want to buy their diapers. What do they call 'em, 'baby grands?' Heh heh heh..

Leenie said...

Hehe not like the bad ol' days when you just bought some flannel and made a bunch of diapers. My advice is just make sure they get really clean to avoid diaper rash.

Too bad clotheslines are a thing of the past. An hour in the sun on a breezy day is the best treatment for white laundry.

Rachel Rowell said...

I have been going back and forth about cloth ever since Joshua was born. I even spent the million hours figuring out how it works online (talk about confusing!). For now we just use cloth swim diapers (or diaper, since Joshua is potty trained-thank goodness) since James hates the idea of cloth diapers and refuses to change another diaper if we use them. I can't blame him for being nervous about them because I am. But I bet they aren't as bad as they seem, at least that is what my cd friends say.

And, you probably already know this, you can buy and sell used diapers at baby center.community.com and diaperswappers.com. But beware, cd addiction is very real! I know some moms who have spent thousands on them!

Rachel Rowell said...

Leenie,
I just put my stained clothes on the front steps to sun out. My husband loves it ;)