Monday, October 4, 2010

Nothing Exciting

Today I was sitting outside Emily's ballet studio holding Elinor while Caleb worked with my keys trying to unlock the door of the dance supply store next door. A lady from Korea came up and started talking to me, mostly about Elinor. One of the first things she said was, "She must look like her dad!" I have to say, that is the first time that's ever been an early reaction to Elinor. Joseph and I agree that it's the coloring that throws people off. Since this lady was Korean, coloring probably wasn't the first thing she noticed so she probably looked more at specific facial features for similarities than most people do. She was surprised by Caleb's complexion and wide blue eyes though!
Here is a picture of the baby. With Emily somersaulting up there in the corner. Honestly, I don't think Elinor really looks like either of us..

I also went grocery shopping with all three kids today. It really wasn't bad at all! We only knocked over one display - too bad it was the cherry tomatoes. Why couldn't it have been something bigger and less rolly and smushable? The kids were great and very patient while I scrabbled around on the floor trying to set things right.
Here is why I crashed: I was pushing this monstrosity with zero visibility because of that carseat. I'm lucky I didn't hurt anyone.
Surprisingly, Emily was the most troublesome on this trip. She was crying because her tummy hurt, poor thing. I suggested that maybe she had to go to the bathroom and she immediately decided that that was the cause of all her woes and she had to go right then. I wished I hadn't spoken. After a couple of minutes of her explaining to me that she absolutely had to go, I decided she probably wouldn't forget about it and ended up in a dirty grocery store bathroom with a newborn, an 18-month-old, and a 3-year-old. Too bad she was still in her ballet stuff, complete with tights, leotard, and tutu. As if it wasn't enough of an ordeal already! And then her tummy still hurt afterward. Rats. We got through it though. Turns out she was hungry. She'd only had a couple of bites of dry cereal for breakfast before announcing she was done. Maybe this will be a good learning experience for her and she'll finally understand when we explain to her why we need her to eat her food.

After an afternoon involving zero napping, we all headed outside into Austin's newly beautiful weather for a couple of hours. I am so grateful for the lower temperatures and humidity! It is so nice during the fall and spring that dinnertime is inevitably pushed back an hour or so so that we can stay outside for as long as possible to enjoy the weather.

And that's about all I got done today. Oh, besides making dinner for my family for the first time since Elinor was born! We have great neighbors who took care of the first week or so and Joseph has been cooking since then.

Random picture section:
Our family o' chefs.


Sister bonding moment.
(Doesn't Emily look thrilled?
Okay, I admit that this is very much a set up pose just for the cute picture potential.)


So much of my life right now. Is it possible to potty-train an 18-month-old boy?


Aw, he's a cutie even if he does wear diapers.
Here he's working on Halloween decorations with Daddy.

4 comments:

Leenie said...

All cuties even with all the challenges. Hang in there and try to get a nap in when possible.

I've decided I love the name Elinor. Great choice.

Glad the weather is getting more tolerable.

the Bartlett fam said...

I've had some epic grocery store experiences with only two- can imagine the a third mixes things up quite a bit! Aren't those monster carts the worst?

Heather said...

Bless your heart. Grocery shopping is one thing I'm not looking forward to.

Suzie said...

Those giant carts are awful! I can't believe you got though the store only knocking over one display. I was lucky that Tyler could walk around the store by the time Holly was born. Maybe you could try the baby bjorn and then put the two bigger kids in the cart? Anyway, we really want to come see you guys. Now that the weather is so great we could do a super BBQ. Or if you want, you could come here any time. Call me.