So, today we went to the beach. One of the great things about living in California is that we can decide spur of the moment to do that, and then be there in a couple of hours. First we hit Target for way too much junk food and a few buckets and shovels, then we headed home to change and pack, and before we knew it we were on our way to the beach.
This was a more crowded beach than what we usually go to, but it was still really nice because there was a cute little beach town right up against the beach. It was nice to not feel like we were out in the middle of nowhere. Plus we scored really great parking. Literally 5 feet from the sand.
| Goofing around in the sand. |
| Lunch is always something of a trial on the beach. I ended up feeding each sandwich to each kid. They just don't have enough control to keep their hands sand-free for 10 minutes! |
| Afterward we went to the local grill and creamery for some treats. The kids loved each choosing a flavor from over 30 that they had available. |
| I chose the fries. Cut and fried as we ordered them. |
| These are the books they had out. |
Emily: Charlie's Birthday Present (Best book ever!! I ordered this because I had such fond memories of it from my childhood!), Mice and Beans
Caleb: Alexander and the Terrible... Day, Battle Bunny, Big Mean Mike, Creepy Carrots, Leonardo the Terrible Monster
Elinor: Mike and the Magic Cookies (another great one from my childhood!), Room on the Broom, Uni the Unicorn
Jacob: In the Town All Year 'Round, Curious George and the Firefighters, The Seven Silly Eaters
I love it. I have gone to great lengths to make sure we have really fabulous, worthwhile books all over our house, inviting our kids to sit down and have a read. No mediocre books here - every one is chosen very carefully and purposefully. And moments like these make it totally worth it. (You know, even if I didn't love making lists of books to own and taking a minute every time we're out at Goodwill or Saver's to pull new treasures from those shelves. :))
So, yes. This day pulled us out of our summer time funk a little bit and inspired me to plan more days out with the kids. A success all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment