Tuesday, September 30, 2014

extracurriculars

So, I already mentioned on here that Elinor and Caleb started soccer...
I might have gone a little nuts and added in a few other after-school activities.

Today was Emily's first day of a five-week rock climbing class and she LOVED it. She has always climbed any tree or wall or pole that looked remotely scalable (is that a word??), so this was perfect for her. And the gym is amazing. When El and I first stepped in to register Em, we both had to stop for a moment to take it all in. Caleb came with us this afternoon and immediately started working to convince me of his need for classes.
And no, she didn't get a haircut. This is just a sloppy ponytail + helmet hair.

Elinor started gymnastics a couple of weeks ago and just grins the whole time. Her instructor is an awesome Russian lady who has the stereotypical accent and calls herself "Teacher Nadia." She once encountered Jacob sitting on a set of stairs the class was climbing and promptly picked him up and planted a big ol' kiss on his forehead.


Em also started violin a couple of months ago. When she first started piano two years ago she really wanted to play violin. We made a deal that if she could stick with piano until she was 7 and learn the notes and some basic theory she could start violin. So here we are!
I can't get over how teeny-tiny her instrument is! It's a 1/8th size and pretty darn cute.

And I really should have taken a picture of Caleb at soccer today, so he could be fairly represented. Instead I'll show you these fish pants that I am a little bit obsessed with:


Just the trusty "Quick Change Trousers" by Anna Maria Horner again. They're for a friend who recently had a baby boy, so I don't even have a baby at home they would fit, but I am having a hard time letting them go! I basically carry them around the house caressing them... I know I have a problem.

Oh, and one last thing - I finished Carry On Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed by Glennon Doyle Melton last night and I was surprised by how much I loved it! Usually I over-research books until I basically know all the details about what I'm going to read before I start, but this was sort of an impulsive read and I'm so glad I picked it up. It's one of the best books I've read all year. Very inspiring but not in a preachy way, and also laugh-out-loud funny and super entertaining. Her blog is great too. I love this post and also this in particular.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Love the violin. Hannah started this year too and it's crazy how small they are. Are you still homeschooling the kids?

Amanda said...

This year the kids are going to public school and really enjoying it. Just the thought of homeschooling this year overwhelmed me, though as the schoolyear has progressed I've been able to think of more and more reasons homeschooling was great. You can't have it all, I guess. And it has been nice to have time to focus on the two little ones.

rebecca said...

Busy, busy. So fun though! Is Elinor in preschool?