Thursday, August 1, 2013

bits and pieces

I while ago Emily got it into her head that she wanted to organize a play of the Star-bellied Sneetches. I don't know how she talks me into these things, but we did invite some friends over to do sort of a crazy rendition of the story.
This picture is of the day before, as the kids were hard at work painting the set.
Meanwhile, I was working on dinner between requests for more paint and entreaties for help with this problem or that.



This little guy (who you can glimpse under that painters' table) likes to keep me company while I cook. He has claimed ownership of all of the glass mixing bowls.
He likes to pull them out, pass them around, stack and re-stack.

Believe it or not, Jacob is not always so helpful in the kitchen. He loves to climb onto Elinor's chair and wreak whatever havoc he can manage. 
Yeah, I did let him play in that milk for a while because he was just so darn happy!

Caleb also helps out in the kitchen. I just had to snap this picture of his flour-covered, little boy hands working so hard to knead that dough.


So, back to the Sneetches...
 Joseph was narrator. Here the play is in full swing. It was somewhat chaotic. I'm not sure it quite scratched Emily's itch for a full-scale dramatic production.
I thought it was fun though.

The sharp looking dude in the bow-tie is playing Dr. Sylvester McMonkey McBean. He did a fine job.


 Taking their final bow:
Cast picture:

And here are all of those crazy kids chilling in front of a movie. It is so much fun to have a family nearby with kids so close in age to ours! We love these guys!

And this is Elinor. She is completely insane. And she can also do the splits for some reason.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love. What fun. Way to go Emily!

katharine said...

i love that story. i was recently telling the kids we should be sneetches for halloween, sounds like emily beat us to the punch

Kim said...

Eleanor has always been insanely flexible! I remember her doing some contortion stunts when she was too little to crawl!

Kim said...

oops, sorry! Elinor... :)