Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bunk bed trials

I have been searching Craigslist for a LONG time for a bunk bed. So many times when I spotted a deal someone else snatched it up before me. Once we drove all the way across Austin (a good 40 minute drive) to be early for a garage sale that started at 8am only to find that someone had arrived an hour early to buy the bunk beds I was after.
We still have lots of time before the baby's born. I wasn't too worried about the bunk bed situation. Emily didn't start sleeping in a twin bed until after Caleb was born and Caleb still loves the crib.
It must have a good mattress or something. Neither of our kids have ever even attempted to climb out. When she was a baby, Emily used to ask to be put in when she was distressed.

We finally did find a bed that was an acceptable price and had the specific details I was looking for (attached ladder, no drawers underneath, lower height) and got it! Emily was so excited to go to the "bunk bed store" and to sleep in her new bed. She was frustrated that it was taking me so long to set up.
She slept on the bottom bed for a couple of nights before I had some slats cut and sanded and Joseph went out and got a mattress for the top. Emily insisted on sleeping up there from the first day it was an option. We thought it would take longer for her to feel comfortable with that.
Now we just have to wait for Caleb to grow up a little bit. He is small enough that he really does still need a crib right now. The kids have had fun playing on Emily's old bed.
I am just annoyed that there are probably only two square feet of floor space left in that room. Our next step is to sell the old bed and make that room usable again!
We are preparing for the new baby slowly but surely!

No comments: