Sunday, September 6, 2009

Obstinate

The picture with Emily standing fashionably in the stream of air-conditioning is from yesterday when she refused to take a nap. Instead, as soon as we would close the door to the bedroom, she would jump out of bed and run over to Caleb to play. He was no help either. He would immediately work his way to the side of the crib, pull down the bumper, and egg her on. The biggest problem was that Emily kept on climbing up and jumping into the crib with Caleb so that they could play better. That didn't seem very safe. Eventually, we gave up and Emily just had an earlier bedtime.
Today it was the same story. After we got home from Church and tried to initiate nap time, Emily kept on jumping out of bed and climbing into the crib. So we pulled her out and let Caleb take his nap. In the mean time, Emily was helping us look at pictures. Although she insisted that she wasn't tired, eventually she passed out on the computer. She had a keyboard imprint on her nose and left drool on the desk. I wouldn't say it's exactly terrible twos, but she's certainly her own person.

4 comments:

Leenie said...

So difficult for everyone when they are too full of energy to nap and still can't make it to bedtime without one. Hang in there!

(Nathan's Aunt Eileen)

Jeana Rock said...

Hey, Amanda! Are you coming out for Michelle's wedding? when is it? Please come by and bring your cute kids!

Joseph said...

I thought that by lowering the crib mattress as far as it goes I could thwart Emily's efforts to climb in. It didn't work. She still gets in and back out without any apparent difficulty. I thought she might be climbing on the stroller that was next to the crib; so I moved it. Then I caught her in the middle of climbing in again. She apparently just stands on the mattress and tosses one chubby but remarkably flexible leg over the top bar. And she's skilled enough now to do it in the dark without making a sound. She can get into the crib, pull all of Caleb's wooden letters off the wall and then get back into her own bed before I come to see what's going on. Unbelievable.

Adriane said...

I hear you on this one. I don't know what I'm going to do either. Most days I wanna pull my hair out...but he's so cute when he insists, "no, Gregory's a-WAKE!!!"